- Volume No.:
- Cara Acred
- Independence Educational Publishers
- Replaces Issue:
- Vol.229 Protecting Human Rights
Go to: Key Facts
- In 1948, in the aftermath of the Second World War, the newly formed United Nations adopted the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR).
- In 2015, 122 or more countries tortured or otherwise ill-treated people.
- 30 or more countries illegally forced refugees to return to countries where they would be in danger.
- In the UK each year about 2,000 men, women and children are helped to escape from trafficking, but this is just the tip of the iceberg. The Government estimates there are 10,000 – 13,000 victims of modern slavery in the UK.