- Volume No.:
- Cara Acred
- Independence Educational Publishers
- Replaces Issue:
- Vol.230 Evolution of the Internet
Go to: Key Facts
- An Institute for Public Policy Research (IPPR) survey found that 80% of young people said it was too easy to access pornography online, and 72% feel that it is leading to unrealistic views about sex – particularly among boys.
- A recent report found that 46% of 18-year-olds felt that sending naked pictures to each other – a practice more commonly known as ‘sexting’ – was “part of everyday life for teenagers nowadays”.
- Agencies such as ChildLine are suggesting that calls to them about cyberbullying (up 87%) and sexting/pornography (up 145%) are increasing at alarming rates.
- In August 2015 a billion people used Facebook on a single day, a seventh of the world’s population. Facebook is seen as the third most significant consumer invention, chosen by 23%.