- Volume No.:
- Cara Acred
- Independence Educational Publishers
- Replaces Issue:
- Vol.196 Censorship Issues and Vol.210 The Media
Go to: Key Facts
- The Universal Declaration on Human Rights (UDHR) and the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR) guarantee the right to freedom of expression, both in Article 19.
- The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown was banned in Lebanon in 2004.
- Age ratings for online [film and TV] content are not required by law, but are used voluntarily through a service launched by the BBFC in collaboration with the home entertainment industry in 2008.
- According to official government statements, since 2010 some 5,700 UK-based sites have been taken down, while some 1,000 overseas sites have been filtered.
- A YouGov poll found that the majority of people surveyed think that the following should not be allowed to be advertised on TV: Payday loans (75% said that they shouldn’t be allowed), gambling (73%), personal injury lawyers (65%) and cosmetic surgery providers (63%).