- Volume No.:
- Cara Acred
- Independence Educational Publishers
- Replaces Issue:
- Vol.44 Threatened Species
Go to: Key Facts
- Animals have been, and still are, killed for meat, clothing, medicines, feathers, eggs, trophies, tourist souvenirs – and sometimes just for amusement.
- The extinction of at least 500 species of animals has been caused by man, most of them in this century. Today there are about 5,000 endangered animals and at least one species dies out every year.
- We still have little idea of how many species exist on Earth. Only a fraction (~1.5 million of an estimated five million) have been formally described, and even fewer assessed for their conservation status.
- Animal rights groups estimate that poachers in Africa kill between 25,000 and 35,000 elephants annually – meaning about 104 die a day.